Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Moosehead Lake, Maine

Dawn on Moosehead Lake
Lily Bay State Park, Maine

It finally rained on us. We can't complain because we have had great weather for the first two weeks. It cleared yesterday afternoon and this morning I was up for sunrise for the first time. Our experience was early morning fog on the coast so it was nice to work morning light. I put our inflatable kayak in the water and within a few yards of the shore I saw this light towards the west. I wish you could have heard the call of the loons at the same time. I couldn't see the loon as their sound can carry a mile in a calm wind.


Islands in Morning Light
Lily Bay on Moosehead Lake, Maine

I had put our kayak in the water and paddled out to these island yesterday afternoon. They looked like promising subjects for early morning and evening light. With this in mind I placed the kayak at different positions to create interesting compositions with the morning sky. It was a case of pre-visualizing during a prior visit and then returning to capture the subject in beautiful light even if it's five in the morning. The light lasted only 15 minutes.

No comments: